Sunday, May 17, 2009

One Moment

I HESITATED AND REGRETTED

As I was walking home the other day, I saw an old woman sitting on the pavement. Her clothes were worn and stained, and her face was smudged with dirt. Her white hair was matted and plastered to her scalp, it must have not been washed for a long, long time. She was sitting on a pile of flattened cardboard boxes. She had a kind face, but it looked worn and tired.

As people walked by, she would held out a frail, shaking hand and pleaded, "Money for food, please?" Most just passed her by; some gave her disgusted looks. Some put small change into her hand - at that, she smiled, bowed her head, and softly said, "Thank you".

I reached into my pockes and felt for coins but all I found was a five ringgit note. A thought came to me: Why not make the old lady's day by giving her a fiver? But it was a fleeting thought - soon gone. I kept searching for loose change until I finally found 20 sen - but by then, I had walked some distance past the old woman. I looked back, and she was looking at me with bright hope in her eyes. She had seen me searching for my pockets and was obviously hoping that I would give her something. But it was only 20 sen! I felt bad, and, reluctantly, I turned and walked on. I could imagine her downcast and dissapointed face as she looked at my retreating back. Not many people had given her anything; every sen must have meant a lot for her.

I couldn't forget the old lady that day. I could have just given her the five ringgit that I had. I almost did, why did I stop? I could have just turned around and walked a few paces back to put some money in her hands, why didn't I? I had the money, and it is not like I couldn't spare it. It might have made the old lady's day. It could have bought her a meal that would have warmed her at least once during long cold days on the streets. She looked so frail and weak...

I decided to find her again the next day and give her some money. Enough for a warm drink and meal, perhaps even a change of clothes. I walked that way again - but she was not at her usual spot. The next day, I walked the same way again, but again she wasn't there. This went on for a week, and at last I gave up and thought that perhaps she might have moved elsewhere. Perhaps the people around here had not been as charitable as she had hoped. I certainly hadn't been.

I have not seen the old woman again; I am not sure where she is now or how she is doing. What I do know is that I had missed a chance to do a good deed. I should have done what I'd felt was right to do at that moment.

...

Fellow readers, this article entitled One Moment is published in Starmag, Sunday 17 May 2009 HEART & SOUL and is written by C.H. Cheah. The reasons I decided to put this up on the blog are:

From a Toastmasters point of view, this is an example of how you can craft your speech as if you are bringing the audience into the scene. The article is written with a strong hint of vivid words, so descriptive that the readers can visualise what they read. Let's assume it is a delivered speech, I personally feel that it is a speech with a strong message (Project 2 C&L), a specific purpose (Project 3 C&L), powerful word choice and arrangement especially with vivid words (Project 4 C&L), provides ample room for body gestures (Project 5 C&L), vocal variety (Project 6 C&L) and with further variations, could add up to persuade with power and inspire the audience as well! (Project 9 & 10 C&L). Further dissect the article and I'm sure you will discover interesting words and sentences that you could make use and brighten the Grammarian's day!

There you go! Honestly, the next reason prompted me to share this article with you. I read it this morning and felt that anyone could relate to it. I guess we all had the experience of hesitating and regretting it later on. I had met a few people like the old woman in the story, occasionally, when I left my office, whilst walking to the nearby bus stop. And I certainly hadn't been as charitable as I hoped I had been now.

Hmm..a thought to ponder eh? Feedbacks welcomed.

Cheers!

LIM SZE YUE

1 comment:

  1. give the lady RM 50 la....much more helpful in her lyf

    ReplyDelete